Improvisation or Improv is an essential element of the craft of acting. This course reviews the foundational tools needed for actors of all levels and in a variety of performance situations. Through a series of games and exercises, students will develop the ability to perform on impulse and with spontaneity.
Course Goals and Outcomes:
Improvisation helps build the actor’s confidence while also allowing for a more intuitive performance.
Areas covered include:
- Understanding Improv Terminology
- Accepting and Embracing Offers – “Yes Let’s”
- Recognizing the pitfalls of Blocking & Wimping
- Exploring Environment
- Learning to Listen – eyes, ears and body
- Embracing Simplicity
- Finding Objectives, Stakes, and Tactics
- Developing the craft of Storytelling
This course is light on theory and is made up of games and exercises designed to get students on their feet, acting and interacting. To allow students to explore a variety of performance elements, they will have opportunity to work independently, in a pair and as an ensemble to develop this craft.